Valkaama news and coordination of the movie production 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Frequently Asked Questions
Posted by:
Date: July 29, 2007 01:07PM

This is a collection of questions I hear plus some things I thought to be important to know.

What is it about?
Making a movie.

When?
As soon as possible. I have to give the camera back in the beginning of October (maybe I can prolong this a little bit)

[Update 2007-11-23] I got the camera for 6 weeks more. Which was really necessary.

Where to film it?
Krakow and surrounding area. Some scenes may require a little bit of travelling.

Who can participate in the production process?
Everyone who is interested in producing a movie and who can contribute to it. It is an open project. If you can and want to help in any way... Get in touch.

[Update 2008-07-18] I didn't get as much response to the project as I was hoping for. But anyway I managed to make the scenes with a team of friends, friends of friends, students from PWST Krakow and a few other people who I got to know via the casting or who stumbled across this site. I hope that there will be more response in the coming stage of postproduction, after the announcement of Valkaama beeing released under a creative commons license.

Who are you?
My name is Tim, I am from Berlin and a student of computer science. I am writing my diploma thesis (sth. like praca magisterska or master thesis) about Open Source Film.

What's your business in Krakow?
A quite common story. You get to know someone special and from the next day on you spend a lot of time in a place far, far away...

Why shooting the movie in Krakow not in Berlin?
1st reason: see above. 2nd reason: the surrounding area suits in my opinion more (villages, woods) to the setting. And hey. If not doing something like that in a country where you barely speak the language and without any connections to filmgroups or other people in the business... Where's the challenge then?

When did you start doing something about?
The idea of making a movie I had in summer of 2006. Almost at the same time I got to read the book Valkama written by Hendrik. The screenplay was written and translated in winter 2006/2007. In May 2007 I put the website online and afterwards I started looking for people who would like to participate. Scenes have been shot from September 8th, 2007 till November 19th, 2007.

... and the story is your idea?
No. The story is based on a book (180 pages) written by my cousin Hendrik. The book has not been published or anything yet. I changed the story a bit to make it screenplay-compatible and realizable with a small budget. The ending is different than in the book, though.

What filming equipment do we have?
I can contribute: camera Canon XH-G1, 2 Beyerdynamic directional microphones + windshields, 1 boom pole (2nd still has to be build / organized), Tripod for the camera, Tripids for lights, Basic light equipment. Tadeusz and me also bought a power generator for night scenes recently.

What equipment do we need?
a 2nd power generator, better light equipment.

[Update 2008-07-18] And neither we got...

This forum is powered by Phorum ... http://www.phorum.org